Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Send a message

Instapundit quotes Jerry Pournelle...

http://www.pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/archives2/019228.php

I have a number of letters about McCain and why we ought to vote Libertarian and "Send a message." I understand the argument.

The fact is that the Democrats will control Congress. If they also control the White House, we will have a series of legislative packages that will make the Great Society look like a libertarian government. . . . The argument is to give the Democrats their head, and pick up the pieces after the inevitable crash. I think that overlooks the resilience of tax and tax, spend and spend, elect and elect regimes.

Sure, it will be bad for the country if the Democrats control Congress and the White House.  It was bad when Jimmy Carter was president.  But out of that malaise came a resurgent GOP led by Ronald Reagan.  My contention is that Reagan would never have been nominated if things weren't so bad during the Carter years.  Was suffering through Carter worth having eight years of Reagan?  I say yes.  Yes, we can!

In any case, I expect that McCain would govern like a Democrat so there's no point in voting for him if you're against big government.  The message I want to send to the Republican party is:  reform or die.  I'm a conservative first.  If the GOP has to lose in order for libertarian conservatives to have a chance to have their voices heard, that's a deal I'm willing to make.

No comments: