Saturday, March 17, 2012

Rutherford B. Hayes is calling

May 10, 1877:
Hayes has first phone installed in White House

On this day in 1877, President Rutherford B. Hayes has the White House's first telephone installed in the mansion's telegraph room. President Hayes embraced the new technology, though he rarely received phone calls. In fact, the Treasury Department possessed the only other direct phone line to the White House at that time. 


Posted via email from The Blue Pelican

No comments: